Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July Blues

Well, this post isn't necessarily about Addi's progress, but it is the easiest way to inform friends and family what is going on at the Welborn house.

Our plans for fourth of July consisted of Addi's first camping trip (I will post pics later). We were planning on leaving Thursday morning and coming back Sunday. Addi's YaYa and Dink (Eric's parents) have a travel trailer so Addi would be camping in air conditioning and the comfort of her own bed. Well, Wednesday evening I had a SEVERE gall bladder attack. I started having issues with my gallbladder when I got pregnant with Addi. Doctors were hoping those issues would go away after her birth, but they just got worse. By Thursday morning I was starting to feel a bit better so we decided to go ahead with our trip. I was determined we were still going to have a good time. Thursday went by with only a few minor pains, but I felt like all would be well. Friday, however, I woke up and ate a light breakfast that ended up not settling well. My pain went from bad to worse and we ended up leaving Mineral Wells at 4:30 to head straight for the emergency room.

To make a long story short, we spent the evening in the ER running tests and sonograms to determine the extent of the problem. I was really hoping that they would give me some pain meds and we might make it for fireworks. That is not how thing happened. Turns out, I had many gallstones that were making the enzymes in my liver elevate. Therefor, I needed emergency gallbladder removal surgery. So I was checked in Friday night, had surgery Saturday, and was EXPECTED to go home Sunday.

Again, another turn in the story...The doctor came in today and said my biliruben levels were continuing to rise which usually means that a gallstone was in the bile duct. BUMMER!!! I want to go home. In this case they will perform an ERCP - a procedure in which they stick a scope down my throat, through all my organs, and in the position to flush out the gallstone. THANKFULLY I will be put out for the procedure. But, this will probably be done tomorrow which means I won't be able to go home until Tuesday. :(

BUT - we are still praying that things will turn....if my biliruben levels lower in the morning, they will let me go home and not have to do the procedure. So we will have to wait and see.

So, Addi didn't get to see fireworks her first 4th of July - but I don't think she will remember. More importantly, I am sad I have to be away from her for such a long period of time. Eric brings her up each day so I can see her, but I don't like her up here too much with so many sick people.

On the bright side of things - Addi is young and won't remember all this craziness. AND, this is all being done and taken care of during the summer while I am off work. I was worried that doctors would put things off and I would be going through this in the fall.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers....hope to be home soon and post more pics of the sweet baby girl. :)

2 comments:

Grow with Griffin said...

Wow Carrie! You are in my prayers. I hope your levels went down today and if you did have to have the yucky procedure, that all went well and you will be back home as soon as possible with your sweet baby girl. I can not imagine how hard it is being away. If you need anything at all, please do not hesitate to let me know! We would love to bring dinner by one evening when you are home and meet Sweet Addi Kate!

carrie said...

hi Mrs.Welborn how is your summer? i can not believe that you had to sit in a hospital on fourth of july and not be able to go camping. and even worse you had surgery how was that? i miss you and i hope you can teach next year.

love,maddie